Life Goes On!

daniela - los angeles, California

Life Goes On!

No matter how bad it seems, how bad it happened or how bad it seems today, life will go on!

I am 17 years old, living life, going through good and bad. Jeffrey, my best friend, was only 15 years old, living his life through the influence of drugs and alcohol. Jeffrey was barely starting to live his life. I always helped him out with any kind of problems that came up to him. He trusted me a lot. He always saw me as an older sister to talk to, and of course I was there for him all the time.

On a Saturday night we were at a party, celebrating a quincenera which was for my cousin Jasmine. Jeffrey called me and asked me if it was alright to take his brother with him. I had no problem with Xavier coming. Xavier was Jeffery’s older brother. He was 18 years old. Xavier and I got along really well. He was a really funny and nice guy. Later that night a few of my other friends arrived. We all of course knew each other.

That late night, around 11:00, Jeffrey, decided to go to his brother’s car and get his cell phone that he had forgotten inside the car. When he was getting to the car he caught his girlfriend, Aimee, kissing with another guy. The guy Aimee was kissing with was my cousin Jasmine’s boyfriend. Jeffrey couldn’t believe it. He loved her more than anything he had ever loved before. Jeffrey treated her with respect and paid all his attention to her. He left without saying a word and told his brother what happened. Xavier got pissed of and went to look for them both. Xavier beat up the guy really bad and let Jasmine, my cousin, take care of Aimee.

Jeffrey started to drink that night, knowing his girlfriend cheated on him. No one took control of him that night. He wouldn’t even listen to me, his best friend, the one that always helped him out with any problem he had. I couldn’t help him then.

Xavier noticed that he didn’t have his car keys and went crazy looking for them. Then he realized that Jeffrey had taken them to get his cell phone in the car. Xavier then knew that Jeffrey had taken off with his car, and the worst part was that he was drunk, in bad conditions and didn’t know what he was doing.

The evidence says he flipped over on the freeway more than three times. Doctors said the accident caused him severe injuries in the head and he broke his left leg, which had led him to a comma. Xavier was really sad, knowing his little brother was in comma, not knowing if he was going to survive. I couldn’t believe that Jeffrey had gotten that bad just for a girl that he was in love with. I mean, come on. It’s not like if she was the only girl in the world. I guess to Jeffrey she was the only one.

Two nights after the accident everything felt different. Jeffrey, my best friend, was gone. Xavier couldn’t believe how low Jeffrey fell just for his girlfriend that cheated on him. Everyone was sad now because Jeffrey was gone. Jeffrey could have moved on and met somebody better. They had been together for about 4 years. He stopped drinking and doing drugs just for her. I guess she didn’t give that as any importance.

Ever since the accident something similar happened to me. I knew my life had to move on. I believe that you only live life once so might as well face the problems, deal with the problems, because life isn’t easy and it isn’t fair.