I believe in addiction to drugs and alcohol.

David - Albemarle, North Carolina
Themes: addiction, family

“This I Believe” Essay

I believe in addiction to drugs and alcohol. As long as I’ve known my father, he has had severe drug and alcohol problems. It all started with the drinking. He would always be at an old timey bar, drinking until he couldn’t find his way home. He got violent when he drank, and would often throw such a fight that the police would come, and take him in for the night. My mother’s mistake was not fighting back. She was scared, and wouldn’t defend herself. He would physically and verbally abuse her. People noticed, and would ask her if there was anything they could do, but she would always answer “No”. Because of the choices my father made with drugs and alcohol, we barely dodged having to live in the streets. One time, he sold almost everything we owned, just to take care of his addiction to drugs and alcohol. That night, we came home just to find mattresses to sleep on. The struggle between addiction and his loved one’s would cause him to stress out to the point of suicide. My father survived his own attempt of suicide when he shot himself in the bottom of the chin, with the gun pointed up.

After moving from what was becoming the ghetto of Cleveland to North Carolina, my mom through him out, and obtained a restraining order for many months. His pick-up line would be, “I love you, and I promise I’ve changed. Now take me back, I have stopped my addiction.” Years later, after he had drunk himself to death, his pancreas blew up to the size of a watermelon, and he had to get part of it removed. The doctors told him if he ever drank another sip again, he would die. My father realized he could no longer drink, or else. He continued his addiction with high powered pain medications. He has stayed on drugs as powerful as Morphine and Dihydrocodeine for over two years, taking high dosages. There’s not a day that I see my father clean of drugs. He needs his high whatever way he can get it. Taking large amounts of pain medications can make someone a drug addict, as can smoking. My father has survived thus far with the effects of drugs and alcohol. Unfortunately, he will probably not live to see his 50th birthday, as this year is his 45th. People choose the roads they will take in life, as did my father with his. This I Believe, I believe in addiction to drugs and alcohol.