The Great Outdoors

Jordan - Laguna Niguel, California
Themes: nature

What do I believe in? The first time I asked myself this question my mind was unresponsive, unable to grasp a single belief that I held true to every day. Then I looked out my dorm room window at the slow rolling hills of San Luis Obispo and I realized that the only thing I wanted was to be outside. When I’m outside all of my responsibilities fade away as I explore the beauty the world has to offer, and this is why I believe in being outdoors.

One of the most beautiful places to explore the outdoors is in my home in southern California. The beaches are in pristine condition and invite you to come relax and enjoy life. The warm, crystal clear water begs for someone to jump in it and let their troubles wash away. After a dip in the ocean there’s always the hot sand to lie on as the sun gently warms one’s body. There are also the cliffs that surround the beaches, jagged and layered from millions of years of erosion that take you back to what that place must have looked like long ago. When I go to the beaches around my house I forget about all my responsibilities and problems that await me back inside my home.

Another place that helps with the constant stresses of life is San Luis Obispo. The climate is drastically different here from my home, but with the difference in climate comes a different type of beauty. San Luis Obispo is one of the greenest places I have ever seen, which may be due to the fact that it rains here a decent amount. I don’t mind though because walking through the rain is uplifting for me. Raindrops collide against my face as I walk to class and help refresh me. The rain lets me forget, even for just that moment, what time it is, my Calculus test tomorrow, my credit card bill, my angry dad, all of my commitments. San Luis Obispo also has amazing hiking trails such as Bishop’s Peak. Once at the top of the trail, you find yourself on top of a mountain overlooking all of San Luis Obispo while the wind rushes around you. This view makes it so easy to just let go and enjoy life for what it is.

The places I have discussed thus far all have somewhat warm climates, but the outdoors are breathtaking in even the coldest places. Most of my family lives in Ohio where my parents both grew up. Though it may be freezing at times in Ohio there is still beauty to take you away from your troubles. One thing Ohio has plenty of is snow. My sister and I often take walks while it’s snowing just to feel the slight sting of a snowflake as it drifts down from the sky onto your face. When I look at pure blinding white of the snow I drift off into thoughtlessness letting nothing bother me. Whether you’re in sunny California, or freezing Ohio, there is always something outside to take your mind off the stress and complication of everyday life.

I believe that it is necessary for people to explore nature and see what it has to offer them. The crisp air and various sights of the outdoors wait to lure anyone who is willing away from the their responsibilities. One of the best ways to refresh yourself is exploring what our world has to offer. Whether you live in a gorgeous countryside, or a bustling city, exploring the world around you will enlighten even the brightest human being.