Emerick - Plain City, Ohio

When I decided to move to Ohio with my wife from North Carolina, I was hoping to be around people with the same attitude as people from N.C. I did not expect to have to fight for people to speak to me just to get a hello, or how are you doing today. However, when I got settled in here in central Ohio I was shocked to see how unfriendly many of the people are and how antisocial people in Ohio are, but if you are a buckeye fan you are easily accepted with open arms. I am a person who believes in speaking to everyone and being polite, smiling to give someone else something to smile for the day.

My belief is about speaking to others. People have no idea how much speaking to others can make someone’s day a happy day, or a smile can brighten up someone’s heart. Speaking can catch on with people but it also has to be genuine. Just speaking and having no feeling or meaning with it can be notice, just as I notice from many of the Ohioans.

When I got to Ohio and I was doing as if I would normally do in N.C. by speaking to people, by saying good morning or how are you doing. However, when I would get no response or a weird stare as like what are you doing speaking to me. This could make any visitor feel like nothing or surely unwanted in the state. I just wish people in the state would be more presentable of their state and welcome anyone warmly but I know that would be too much to ask for, from too many people. I just feel like this most of the people born and raised here in Ohio do not look outside of there state and being taught the OS Buckeyes are the only thing that matters in life is ridiculous. Being nice is something we are blessed with and speaking is something also we are blessed with to pass on to others who cross our paths. However, I do not agree with teaching our kids to dislike someone because they are from another state because they are not a buckeye fan. Ohio people need to understand being nice and speaking can make others happy and including the speaker.