Taking a chance on something new

Sonam - Santa Fe, New Mexico

I stand right outside the doors of my new school. I feel my heart beat faster. I take a deep breath in and walk into the doors to my new school life, because I believe in taking chances. Sure, the possible outcomes are endless, but that is the great part. You do not know what to expect, but you can always gain something from it. Whether it is a new friend or a mistake that you make. I feel that every day, that there is a chance that I take, a challenge I face. Whether the size of the chance or challenge is big or small.

We may stand up to someone who is bullying us or maybe we are just opening a shaken soda can. The chances we take form the person we are now or who we are going to become. The challenges we face and the route in which we take to solve them tell our personality. You may just go straight on when facing a problem, and just taking or not taking that risk. It says that you are willing to do anything; you are the person to do something first and think about the consequences later. When a more cautious person would face a challenge and also consider the possible outcomes that can affect them. I feel that I am in the middle of those two types. At times I can be very cautious and consider what risks I should take or what risks I should not take. But I can also just go and take a risk without thinking what will happen after I do. I believe what my actions are, are based on the seriousness of the situation. I believe that this is neither good nor bad. At times, I may just forget to study for a quiz and may get a really bad grade in result. But when there are finals, I do my best to learn the material. At times the way I treat situations can payoff and on other times, it does not.

Even with a very cautious person, still take a chance, they still take a risk. Like trusting someone with your deepest darkest secret or even just speaking up in class. Walking through the doors of my new school was something that had me nervous for days before. The days of thinking how my first day would go, made me nervous. But as I saw the first day go by, I realized that walking through the doors was not so bad. I met up with old friends, and talked to people I did not even know, but were soon friends with. Speaking up to people has not always been a strong point for me, and I took a chance and did. I am happy that I did. It just shows that a small thing like talking to a person can have a great outcome. Taking the chance and going out of my comfort zone, really paid off. I was able to meet new people and not feel like an outsider at my school.