The KEY is Physical ACTIVITY

Matthew - Reisterstown, Maryland
Themes: sports

“5…4…3…2…1…Buzzer…” A person’s life can be changed in 5 seconds because of physical activity. For example, in an NCAA basketball tournament, such as March Madness, one team’s biggest dream could be achieved, and especially when somebody knocks down a buzzer-beater, the day they win is the best moment of their life. Last year, the Kansas Jayhawks basketball team’s Mario Chalmers shot a three pointer that just beat the buzzer with 3.9 seconds left on the shot clock to tie the score at 63. Mario Chalmers, a great basketball player, made this three-pointer to gain momentum and eventually win the Men’s March Madness NCAA Division 1 basketball tournament in overtime. Moreover, not everyone is an NCAA basketball champ, but just simply exercising for 30 minutes daily can benefit a person. This won’t be a person’s best moment in his life, but both Chalmers and the person exercising benefit from the physical activity. I believe physical activity can only benefit one’s life.

Many health problems in America can be solved by physical activities. Each year, 112,000 people in America die from obesity. From the year 1962 to the year 2000, the number of obese Americans went from 13% to a high 31% of the population. A way that people can stop this increasing problem in America is to do some physical activities. If you exercise about 30 minutes 5 times per week, one will see a huge difference. Physical activity can only help solve problems in a healthy way.

Physical activity can also benefit people’s lives by making things fun. Many sports-related activities are played daily because of how fun the physical games really are. I was at a Bat Mitzvah recently. It was at an Athletic Club. There was a basketball court and I was the first one there, so I was on the court first. Then, a group of four boys came and so did another guy that was in charge of the court. Then, everybody that was invited came. At one time, about 90% of everybody was on the court shooting. Everybody was having fun playing basketball games, shooting around, dribbling, and trying to block shots or steal some of the basketballs from people. Everybody was enjoying it! It was a spectacular Bat Mitzvah. I realized that physical activity isn’t just making people healthy, but it is also used simply for enjoyment.

Physical activity also can clear one’s mind and/or relieve stress. For example, if anybody is stressed or mad, they can take their anger out by boxing. That person could also shake it off by running (the angrier you are, the faster you run). Running can also clear one’s mind. Some people run on the sidewalks outside and just focus on running instead of their anger. Personally, I am the person that listens to my IPod while running up the streets when I’m angry. However, if I am really, really, really mad, I punch my pillow, throw a ball against my rusty downstairs wall, or punch something that doesn’t hurt my knuckles. This show how running, boxing, throwing, and punching can resolve problems, relieve stress, and also clear one’s mind in a simple and healthy way that can help that anybody’s body.

“5…4…3…2…1…Buzzer” The crowd goes wild! “Congratulations. You won a healthy life forever!” This is what I would say to anybody that has exercised or done some sort of physical activity that has benefitted them. People could recognize a change in anyone if he/she was a rather large and turned into an average sized person to some extent. People may not have realized a change by just looking at someone visually, but those people will notice something one day if that person keeps on exercising. But, even if nobody ever notices, at least the person knows that physical exercise helped and only benefitted that person. If you set guidelines for your own physical activity, you will see a positive change!