Always Smile at Strangers

Quan - Brookline, Massachusetts China

I’ve learned one thing since I’ve come to Boston; that is, to smile at any stranger who I meet. As long as our eyes encounter each other’s, I will immediately give him or her a broad smile without hesitation, even though I know that this may be the first, as well as the last time we meet. Just smile. It seems to be a very simple and easy expression. But for me, I find that it also can be both meaningful and powerful. I have some theories behind a smile.

Theory one: A smile brings me friends and trust. Back in my second year of primary school, I moved from a small city to the capital of my country. Knowing nothing about this huge and strange city, I kept feeling nervous and uneasy. On the first day of my new school, I stood in front of the whole class, becoming too afraid to speak. As I looked around the classroom blankly with my helpless eyes, I accidently met a pretty girl’s eyes; she smiled at me like an old friend. Spontaneously, I smiled back at her in return and found that I was suddenly filled with courage and confidence. In that way, I met my best friend.

Theory two: A smile can heal one’s heart, bringing it endless warmth. In my first few days in Boston, I sometimes felt that even though this new place was beautiful and friendly to me, it still was not my home. This sentimental feeling continued growing in my heart until I passed a granny whose unfamiliar but kind eyes met mine on the street one day. Without knowing my loneliness, the old lady gently smiled at me with her warm eyes. For no reason, I suddenly felt myself filled with love and warmth. Her smile touched my soul and healed my heart.

Theory three: A smile spreads happiness to others and to me. I love smiling. When my best friend, the girl who smiled at me on the first day of my new school wrote a message in my graduation book, she wrote, “I love your smile best because your smile makes me feel so happy.” I know that my smile can spread happiness to people around me, and as time goes, I realize that this fact makes me happy as well.

The happiest thing to me in the world is to let people around me feel happy, and the best way is to smile. Even though sometimes I will feel blue and depressed, I still can keep my smile on my face because I believe in the miraculous arch of my mouth and the beauty of that angle. I believe that smiling presents the most optimistic and loving attitude which can produce happiness in the life of others’ and my own.

On sunny winter days, I always enjoy walking on the street in the cozy and shiny sunlight. My eyes linger on the blue sky, the vivid street sight, and sometimes they meet with other eyes. And then, I smile. I smile at the strangers, but also at the beautiful world and colorful life.