I Believe in Going Green

Zachariah - Denison, Kansas

I believe in going green. This planet is not going to be here forever, and we have to do anything we can to prevent future damage, and possibly even fix what we have already messed up.

In the late 1990’s scientists, brought to our attention a depleted ozone layer and soon, people started to realize that we couldn’t just sit around and do nothing. Thanks to Al Gore and his “Inconvenient Truth”, we started to realize that we needed to do something, fast. And with that, we had companies making green products, and people going green in their everyday lives. However, no project was bigger than one Kansas town’s.

May 4th, 2007. Greensburg, KS was struck by a Tornado that was estimated at 1.7 miles wide. The entire town was destroyed, leaving nothing but concrete foundations and streets. While many people decided to move out of the town, some residents saw a green future. The decision was made to make Greensburg one of the greenest cities on the planet. All city buildings would be built to LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Platinum level, which is the highest level a structure can achieve. What this shows is not only are people caring about the environment, but that an entire city is trying to make a difference through combined efforts.

Personally, my biggest contribution is recycling. I recycle everything I can. When I’m at school, I throw my pop-bottles in the recycling bin, I make sure junk papers go in a recycling bin, and even make sure teachers do the same sometimes. Probably my biggest initiative was at my place of work. I began working at a local Auto Parts store when I was 17, and one of the first things I noticed was the amount of cardboard boxes that came into the store, and then were just thrown in the dumpster. I approached my manager, and he was excited that I wanted to make a difference and recycle the boxes. Now we break the boxes down, leave them in the back, and Saturday, I load them in my truck, and drop them off at the recycling center. While just one store won’t make a huge difference, I would like to see more businesses recycling so we might be able to reduce how much goes in landfills.

Recycling is not going to help fix all of this mess we have gotten ourselves into, but it can be just the first step in a worldwide initiative to fix the environment and make a better world for today, and for future generations to enjoy. This I believe.