My Favorite Place

James - Yuba City, California
Themes: peace, place

My Favorite Place

Ahh…Coffee, warm smooth. I think it smells better than it tastes. It is early morning and I am sitting in one of my favorite places. Orange and purple reflect off everything from the start of the new day. The fire I started in the fire pit is taking hold, crackling, warming, smelling of smoke, the perfect comfort to take away the chill of the morning. A rooster is crowing in the distance along with the shot gun blasts from the dove hunters. The blasts I could do with out, but that is a sign that Fall is on its way. I love the fall, leaves turning, temperatures mild, its harvest time!

Sitting here enjoying the morning makes me glad I built my gazebo. The rough fir lumber and log cabin siding give it a homey feeling. The exposed aggregate floor is rough but smooth, dark green shingles and glass skylight the roof. This ten by ten structure is one of the most peaceful places I know. I’m glad people throw things away, so I can afford to build neat places like this.

Sitting here the scent of the redwoods, not as strong as a pine smell, just makes me feel good. The rustling leaves from the birch make a tattle tale sound as they give up to the changing season. Although it is not fall yet, I can feel it is on the way. My three hens are scratching in the dry needles of the tall redwoods in the search of bugs and other things. They cackle knowing every thing is okay.

Mama Cat, a small tortoise colored orphan and pregnant when dropped off a few months back, had kittens! Typical life in the country. Everyone thinks I need their cat. We accept it though. I think I have eight or nine now. I’ve had up to fifteen at one time. They come and they go and sometimes stay, like Ashton, a Russian Blue, born on the roof in an old exhaust vent. He has been here almost fifteen years and has become a good friend.

The three kittens are out now, waking up with a lot of energy. They rambunctiously toss and turn each other while Mama looks on. Wally, yes we name them, is the little boy. He is a rusty orange stripped kitten. Cali is a tortoise like her mama except she has a white streak down her tail. She looks like a skunk. Cotton is a patchwork of color. She has one leg orange and one

leg calico, a tortoise body, a white face and a black strip down her nose. Its’s fun to watch them frolic about. I enjoy them, they need a home too.

In the evening time, when it is cool I also sit out here. While the sun is setting in the west, the light flickers through the redwoods casting light on the gazebo. The campfire pit next to it is built of river cobbles surrounding a rusty old ring. All around the pit are heavy rough sawn beams for seating. The beams are, of course, some that were tossed away to be salvaged by someone who saw value in them. I love it when people throw things away.

My little forest and campground area is a great place for friends and family. Everyone who has been here loves it and says how peaceful it is. Sometimes we even sit out there in the rain and barbeque. I know there are nicer places to go and visit, but this place is just right out my front door. I have spent a lot of time out there refueling my soul for whatever the day may bring and plan on spending a lot more. We all need a time out place.

My breakfast is here now. A steamy hot bowl of grits, warms me inside and out. I think I’ll stop writing now and eat. I am enjoying the rest of the morning listening to the birds waking up to find their breakfast. What a Place!!

More so than not, we all need a place of peace. . . This I believe.