My Greatest Hockey Memory

Ryan - Great Neck, New York
Themes: sports

My Greatest Hockey Moment

This I believe. It all started on March 12th, 2007 the day before my 11th birthday. My hockey team the Long Island Edge, from NY had won the Long Island championships and we were going to compete for something bigger, a State Title. We traveled to Ithaca New York and won our first 3 games and we were going on to the semi-finals. In the semi-finals we lost to a team called the Hudson Valley Polar Bears and they went on to win the State Title.

(Fast Forward) 2 years later my hockey team had won the L.I championships again and this is what happened. Our second shot at winning states started on my 13th birthday on March 13th, 2009 and my team had made it to states again, but this time we where going to Newberg, NY. We were all really excited, but scared. The first game on my birthday we were tied 3 to 3 with 1 minute left in the 3rd period. The other team broke out of their zone, came down the right side and scored on my team with less then 40 seconds left. We ended up losing that game on my birthday and I was not happy. We all knew that in order to even get a chance at the semi-finals we needed at least 4 points or (2 wins). That night we all went to bed early so we could rest for our 6:40 game that next morning. The team we played was a really good team, but we out played them and beat them 4 to 3. The following game that night could have been our final game together but we were winning 3 to 2 and I got a bad penalty. They tied it up 3 to 3 and we needed a win to move on. I went out with 34 seconds left in the game, and we only needed one goal so, I got the puck to my defensemen and he took a shot and hit the crossbar. I got the puck back with 15 seconds left and I gave it to my foreword who shot the puck and scored with 5 seconds left sending us to the semi-finals! The semi-finals were the next morning.

That next morning we found out we were playing the South town stars and they were very good. We had played them as tough as we could and at the end of the second period it was 2 to 2. In the third period still no one scored sending us into overtime. After the 5-minute overtime it was scoreless. After over time we went into a shoot out. The best of 5 in the shoot out won but the first 4 shooters from both teams scored. We went into the 15th round and 30 shooters had gone and it was my turn. The pressure was on. I look around the stadium, and everyone was watching me. I saw them screaming and waving their hands. I concentrated really hard on blocking out the noise. My eyes were on the Puck and the goalie. All I had to do was score on a break away and we won. When the whistle blew I went to my right first and cut across to my left and put the puck between the goalies legs. We won and were going to the finals.

At the finals we were playing the Hudson Valley Polar Bears who had beaten us in States 2 years before and had beat us 9 to 1 that season. We had scored in the first period and it was 1 to 0 at the end of the second period. We were going into the third period and with 10 minutes left they scored and it was 1 to 1. Then we got a penalty and killed it off. With 5 minutes left my defensive partner gave the puck to a foreword and he scored. We were so happy but we had to make sure they did not score for 5 long minutes. We came out victorious and we get to go to Nationals soon! This I believe. I believe “will beats skill” any day!