The Hope Alarm

Tyler - Great Neck, New York
Themes: hope

I believe that hope is why we wake up in the morning. According to Merriam-Webster dictionary, hope is a desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfillment. There are also many different kinds of hope, like desperation or optimism. Hope is almost directly related to the future. When I grow up, I want to be the president of the United States. Every morning, while brushing my teeth, I look into the mirror and think, “Good morning America. This is your president, Tyler Bloom. I would just like to tell you that our economic meltdown has been solved and we have created more jobs so that those many people who lost their job due to the state of the economy can go back to work.” Every morning, I begin to smile because of that vision. This vision makes me feel like I can make a difference, which we all can if we strive to do so. Isn’t it amazing how something that might not even come true can brighten your day?

Now, I can’t tell the future, so I don’t know if I will become the president when I grow up. Hope will make me strive to do good things so one day I might reach my goal. When I was in fifth grade, desperately wanted to be in my school’s geography bee. The night before the qualifier, I studied for three hours. The next day in school, we took the qualifier and when we graded the papers it turned out I had lost by one question. A single tear dropped out of my eye and I asked my teacher if I could see the papers. After a quick inspection I realized that my opponent had written that Alaska was the nations largest pineapple producer and I wrote Hawaii. I handed the paper to my teacher and I wound up becoming the class champion for the geography bee. If I didn’t care about the geography bee, I wouldn’t have asked to see my contender’s sheet of paper.

Hope, in other cases, can betray you. My mother once told me a story about how her mother died. She was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 1984. She battled the disease for ten years. My mother prayed every night for her to get better. She died in 1994. This is the case for most terminal illnesses because people use false hope. False hope is when you hope something will happen even though it probably won’t. False hope is the same as desperation.

Hope isn’t a man-made trait. Hope has to be started by an event. I came home from school one day and I was informed by my mother that my father was in the hospital because he needed to repair a stent in his heart. I looked at my mom for a second and then looked down at the floor. She told me that he would be fine but I was still scared. What if something went wrong? I ran into my room crying. I prayed for an hour that night. The next day, I went to the hospital. It reeked of antiseptics and death. This unnerved me. No one likes to be unsure of the future, and that is very true for me. I walked into his room and was dumbfounded. He looked fine. I went over to his bed and gave him a very long hug. I had looked at the event pessimistically, and because of that I scared myself.

We have to look deep into ourselves to find out who we are. We usually look into ourselves when we are faced with an extreme situation. Hope is conjured during those situations. I have never been in one of these situations, so I have never looked into myself. Hope can be good or bad. It can make your day or ruin your life. It is a priceless natural resource. Hope will always be with you, whether you know it or not.