I believe in stepping outside my comfort zone

Chenae - Auburn, Indiana

On my way home one evening after work, I was driving home along my usual route. As I was unwinding from a stressful day at work, I passed a house I pass every day; however, this time I noticed an old man lying on the ground outside in the front of his house. The weather was nice and as I passed him, I began wondering why he would be on the ground and was there anyone inside watching over him? I continued to drive but could not get the image of the man out of my head. Suddenly, I thought, perhaps this man needs help. Although I was unsure of this man and what might happen to me if I got out of my car, I drove around the block and stopped in front of his house. As I walked up to him, I could tell he was in need of help. I was nervous about helping a complete stranger and as I approached him, I saw that he could not get up and it appeared he had soiled his pants. It was also evident that he had been out on the lawn for a while, and alone. When the man saw me his eyes brightened. He said he had seen me drive by and was not sure if I would turn back around. I helped the man up into his wheelchair. Did he need more help? Was there anyone I could call? He looked up at me and told me I was his angel from heaven.

After getting into my car and continuing on my way home, I realized I had stepped out of my comfort zone and helped someone, and that someone was grateful for my help. To make a difference, I strongly believe sometimes you need to step out of your comfort zone. Stepping out of my comfort zone, in this case my car, allowed me to understand the depth of my compassion. I gained the confidence to act with compassion even if I had to step out of my comfort zone and know I will be able to do so in the future as well.