I Believe in Second Chances

Rachel - Livonia, Michigan
Themes: forgiveness

I believe that people make mistakes. No one is perfect and things happen in everyone’s life that they wish they could take back. This is why I believe that everyone deserves a second chance.

You have to learn to forgive, but not forget. My best friend and I have been close for five years now, but we were not always this way. She used to hang around with a group of girls that I was not very fond of. They all spent the night at one of the girls’ houses one night. In the middle of the night I was woken up by a phone call that was devastating to me at the time.

“Five head, yellow teeth! Five head, yellow teeth!” These were the words the girls were chanting through the phone. By saying five head they were saying that I had a big forehead- “five” instead of “four”. This was something that I was very self-conscious about at the time, and the one who is now my best friend knew it.

At first I wasn’t sure who had made the call. The following day at school I talked to some of my friends who had also received one of these calls. Each one had received a mean voicemail. It eventually got around who had been a part of it. I was really upset to find out that the girl who I thought would never do something like this was there.

This kind of put an end to our blooming friendship. What kind of friend would do something that she knew would hurt me? We went our separate ways for a while, but had a class together the next semester. We slowly began to talk again, but I put up somewhat of a guard.

I didn’t feel like she would intentionally do something to upset me. We talked about the situation and she apologized more than once. I’m so glad that I forgave her in the end because the person she is today made me realize what true friendship really means. I know that she would never do something like this to me again.

People really do make mistakes. Bad influences can cause this, and that was the case with my best friend. If I never gave her a second chance I’m not sure what things would be like today. We both would probably have totally different groups of friends. This is why I believe that people make mistakes and deserve second chances. Where would the world be without them?