I Believe in This I Believe

donald - encino, California

This essay isn’t going to move you it’s not going to stand out, but I had to write it anyways. I believe in This I Believe. As I am writing this I am hearing Ira Glass tell us that the last run of This I Believe will run later this year. This can’t happen. For one, I am doing a This I Believe assignment right now in my yearbook class and second, as a teacher I need to be reminded that there are others out there that believe in something more. Now I hear the rhetoric of emails submitted to teachers concerning the future of our students and the meaning of education. I hear others talk about what they should do for our kids and what needs to be done for or by our country. But I need to hear real people. Everyday, every single day I am reminded of the hardships my students go through. Once I asked them to contribute $7 to purchase t-shirts representing their academic team and they looked at me as if there was something I obviously didn’t understand. Maybe It was they didn’t want to flash the world the fact that they were all in the ESL team although everyone of them have English as their primary language. Maybe it’s the fact that they all receive breakfast and lunch tickets, free tickets for free food, if that’s what you want to call the stuff. Your show reminds me that these kids are not special in their situation and I am not special in mine. There are a million kids out there in worse situations and more teachers out there in the world that care more and do more than I. Granted not every essay is about the struggles of poverty and education, but every show is about realization and the journey that it entails. I believe in your show because it helps me. It gives me something to imagine. I need to believe that these kids will one day be reminiscing about their upbringing and smiling about the times that make them cry today. I believe that we all need a bit of therapy for this to happen. I believe that hearing others and their situations and their remedies is therapy in the best way. I believe your show is humanity and I believe it to be a philanthropic endeavor. All descriptions aside, this show has reminded me more than once on my Friday drive to work why I am even driving there. I didn’t have the easiest upbringing, but these kids have stories that would make any one of mine disinteresting at best. This show is a reminder that I don’t need to see what they see, or hear what they hear because we share something very real; something that can be heard over the radio waves every Friday morning. I don’t know if I’m just too weak to motivate myself and do what it is I need to do in the classroom. I don’t know if I’m cut out for this work, but I know that your show helps me do it. There are people out there that remind us why were here. Some go to church and take the sermon, others follow the law and abide by the word, I believe in people and without your show another voice will never be heard and that can’t happen. Thanks for taking the time.

Encino, CA