My Honest Grandpa Gave Me Hope

Briana - Phoenix, Arizona

My grandpa, a very honest, hopeful man, really inspired me. His honesty made him a better person and I want to be a good person just like he was. He was hopeful because he battled cancer for several months.

Every Christmas Eve, I used to go to my Grandmother and Grandpa Don’s house for a huge dinner. After dinner, my Grandpa Don would make up an excuse to go outside and change into a Santa costume. My cousins, my brother, and I never really noticed that he left. A few minutes later, he would come back in the house, wearing the costume, with a huge bag of presents for all of us. I didn’t find out the truth about Santa Claus until I was around nine years old. My grandpa dressing up as Santa Claus is the strongest memory in my mind that I have of him. Unfortunately, he passed away two years ago because of cancer. His seventy-two years of life gave him so much knowledge and it makes me want to be just as smart as he was one day. My grandpa gave me hope because he fought his cancer for several months and he had hope that he could overcome it. I really wanted and hoped that he would become healthy again. After chemo therapy, he did get a little bit better, but he couldn’t make a full recovery. I never realized how much hope he had and how hard it must have been for him until he died. I wish he survived so that I could tell him how much I look up to him and admire him.

With hope, so many things can happen. For example, in November of 2008, many Americans had hope that we would have our first African-American president. The African-American candidate, Barack Obama, ended up winning the election and becoming the first African-American president of the United States. President Obama had hope for himself, and so did several other Americans, including me. This really shows that anything is possible with hope.

I also value honesty. In my own life, I’ve told a few lies. I always feel regretful when I lie, so I try to always tell the truth. Telling the truth always makes me feel better. Although I might have done something bad, I get in less trouble if I tell the truth than if I lie. Honesty and hope are the most important values to me, and I will use them throughout my life.