Testing Patience

Wilfredo - Northville, Michigan

Life is a road that everyone rides on. Sometimes the trip can be smooth and then other times you’ll end up hitting speed bumps along the way but when you do hit a speed bump that damages your car a bit, you need to be patient until it gets fixed. I always believed in patience, knowing that good things come to people who wait, or at least that’s what I was told. In my life I felt it was something that always came up and it was dreadful! When that new video game came out and all your neighborhood friends had it and if you didn’t you were missing out big time, or when you are waiting for a result of a really important test. The older I have gotten, the more I figured that I had this patience thing under control….that was until recently.

The thirteenth of January this year I went sledding with seven friends and my fiancée. I went down the hill and started to drift toward a frozen hay bale, and then the snow blew into my eyes. By the time I wiped the snow off the bale was right in front of me and my foot smacked right into it. The moment it happened I knew something was wrong; I was rushed into the hospital where they performed emergency surgery. I woke up hoping it was a dream but I looked around and there it was an external fixator on my foot. The doc said I broke my talus bone which came through the skin and I came close to losing my foot. It was a shocking truth to grasp because I am twenty two years old and figured that nothing big was ever going to happen (injury wise).

That’s when the real test of my patience started. I wasn’t able to put any pressure on my foot and have to depend on those who are around me. It’s a bother because I like to be independent and hate depending on others. My fiancée and her parents came to me and said that they are always going to be by my side and take care of me “so please have the patience to deal with us”. Those words helped me cheer up a bit and gave me a drive to work on this patience I thought I had under control. Today I still have the fixator on my foot but we have a date when it comes off. I believe that mine and my In-laws patience have made this recovery a lot easier and happier. It’s a long road but with patience I believe I will get though this speed bump in my life.