I believe in Second Chances

Charlotte - Duxbury, Massachusetts
Themes: forgiveness

I believe in second chances the most. If I cannot do something right the first time, I expect or hope to be given a second chance. I can see how it can be hard to forgive someone, and look past what he has done wrong, but I think second chances are important in life. It allows a person to learn from his mistake and do better the second time around.

I have grown up always thinking that second chances were necessary. This was always hard for me to express because my father was always the one to say, “If you mess up once, that’s it.” He would ground my sisters and I for making little mistakes. I always felt that if he told us not to do what we did again, we would not do it. There was really no need for grounding. I think my father is now starting to realize this. Because I am more grown up, I feel like I can have a better conversation with my father. He seems to understand what I have to say and take them into consideration, whereas when I was a little girl he would do whatever he thought was right and that was that.

I remember when I was a freshman in high school. I had a boyfriend who lived far away from me. I asked my mom one night to sleep over my friend Heather’s house when really it was to sleep over my boyfriend Kiefer’s house. I took the taxi from my house to the train station and took the train to his house. My parents did not find out what I had done for the longest time. When my friend Heather came into my work that week and I gave her a hug and said, “Aw, I missed you so much. It’s been forever.” My mom overheard this. She went out to Heather’s car to talk to her mom and asked if I had slept over the week before and her mom said no. My mom was furious and did not know how to react. She talked to my dad about it and they both decided not to talk to me for a few days about it because they were so upset and could not believe what I had done. I apologized and told them it really was not even worth it and that I would do anything to regain their trust. I begged for them to forgive me and not to ground me. I promised them nothing like this would ever happen again, and surprisingly they took my word for it, and gave me a second chance to prove myself.

I cannot imagine what this world would be like with no second chances. I believe that second chances can help make this world a better place. No one is perfect, people are going to make mistakes, but life goes on. People need to learn to forgive and forget. Everyone needs that second shot to prove himself.