This I believe–roller coasters are crazy

Christa - Snohomish, Washington

This I Believe Essay—Roller coasters are crazy.

I believe that roller coasters are not for the faint of heart. One needs to build up a tolerance in order to endure it and have fun. You are probably either agreeing with me or silently chuckling under your breath. But before you pass judgment, please hear this story that demonstrates this truth.

It was during the spring break that my family and I went down to California for vacation. While we were there, we took time to go to the infamous Knott’s Berry Farm. Everyone knows that the only crop that grows at this farm is extremely crazy roller coasters. I somehow managed to forget this as I stood in line for the Ghost Rider, which is one of the craziest rides there. I am not a roller coaster person. But the ride looked so tame from where I stood, that I deceived myself into thinking that I could handle it. I couldn’t see the large drops and the random twists from where stood. So I innocently stepped unto the ride, not knowing what I was getting myself into.

The ride was torturous. AS it went on, I found myself frozen in place, wide-eyed and unable to scream as the wind rushed into my lungs. Thankfully, I was not the only one frightened. My younger sister, a six-foot-tall giantess, sat next to me equally afraid. She hid her head behind back as we plunged down each drop. This action gave me a little relief that I was not alone in the chaos.

When we stepped off, we were both shaking and our hearts were beating as fast as a speeding train. My fingers remained sore from gripping the guard rail so hard during the ride for the rest of the day. For the remaining days of vacation, whenever I saw something going fast, my heart would begin to beat again as it did after that ordeal. Everyone else was excited after the ride. My other sister, Stephanie, and my brother, Mike wanted to go again. I was amazed at their stamina.

It was from this event that I came to this belief; large roller coasters are not for the faint of heart. It is something you have to build up to gradually. Otherwise you will be like me, pinned to the seat and unable to scream. The same can go for other parts of life like eating extra hot sauce, or even preparing for college. I can’t expect to be able to handle the sauce if I have never tasted it before and I can’t expect to be successful in college until I have learned my ‘ABC’s and know the square root of 16546.There are some things in life that you have to build up to.