Listening is key

maegyn - Snohomish, Washington

I believe that teachers should be listened to. Although this is commonly enforced, it is not, as all students know, abided by. As students grow up through elementary school, middle school, high school and beyond, we are all trying to answer the big question-“what am I doing after this?” I believe listening to your teachers is crucial in finding the answer.

Up until middle school, I always took the easy way out. Then my perspective of the world turned upside-down. It was a battle of finding your passions and what you wanted to do for the next five years of school and the rest of your life. This transition was a huge slap in the face for me. I was terrified; I didn’t know what I was supposed to do. I had no where to turn to. High School scared me; I was given a choice in what I wanted to do and I wasn’t quite sure how to take advantage. All I knew that math and science were out of the question and sports and art weren’t going to happen. I was confident that I was going to get involved in reading and writing, I loved words. I just never pursued them. It wasn’t until I was a freshman that I was given a sign.

In freshman year, I had the best teacher ever. I connected with him really well. In his class I talked to him a lot about writing and various subjects. In talking to him over a few months and getting to know each other better, he recommended that I join newspaper club to see if journalism might interest me. I was desperate to find some passion; so I obeyed him and became a member of the “Panther Paws newspaper.” If I hadn’t listened to this simple suggestion, I wouldn’t have realized my first real “calling.” I loved writing for the newspaper, and this love got me into the far more professional Arrowhead newspaper, my favorite class. I’m even considering it as one of my career paths.

Maybe it was just a quick suggestion from teacher to student, but fact is that if I didn’t listen to him that day, I would probably still be searching for the thing that I love to do. It may have just been a comment, but it was a life-changing one.