Themes: hope, place, war

I believe the war in Sierra Leone will end

Sierra Leone a small country in West Africa went through 10 years rebel war. Unfortunately, I was in the country when all the atrocities happened. It was a senseless war with the Revolutionary United Front (RUF) who was the rebel leaders said there was fighting to restore peace in the country. The Marital and the Government Armed forces where involved in war. The senseless war initiated because of selfishness and greedy and they main purpose they were fighting for was Diamond. Diamonds are in a district in Kono the Southern part of Sierra Leone. During the war women were raped in front of their husband, pregnant women stomach was spilt open and the unborn baby was thrown in the fire. Some men were captured and were intoxicated in order to join the RUF. The leader to the RUF Foday Sankoh who was a mere photograph will command to kill any young boy or men aged 8 and above who refused to join the force. Houses was burnt and the world city was on fire. To food or good water to drink stores were looted in order to get food. I had to jump over tall walls with my son who was six month at that time; my mom and family to hide from the rebels. I was a nursing mom I will have to cover my son’s month with cloth so when he cries the rebels won’t hear him. In the out skirt of the city, people hands and limbs were amputated saying they supported the government. The sad part was that all these fighters were citizens of the country. After 10 years, the war ended brings the population of the country decrease to 4M. In order not to get raped, I was fortunate to leave Sierra Leone with my son to the USA, just because most of my relatives were in the states but some friend who are less fortunate were raped and some died. I believe the war will end, schools are getting back to normal, investors are doing business in the country, and the country has regained its peace. I do believe we learned our lessons as there were too much hatered, fighting amongst ourselves. We all love ourselves now and I believe there will be no more war in Sierra Leone as we all suffer greatly at the war. I believe Sierra Leone will reach the development of United State if we make good use of the resources we have.