The Human Touch

Melanie - Soldotna, Alaska

I believe that the human touch heals. Whether you touch people through words, actions, or just some friendly gesture, that’s sometimes all people need. Whether we want to admit it or not we have all strived for this touch at one point in our lives, hoping it can heal us and take the pain away so we can be happy again. I have seen this touch times, and it has happened to me. Either way, whether people are giving or receiving this touch, they come out enlightened.

Sometimes we are lonely and feel like no one cares. We feel invisible. People can usually tell when others are feeling this way. They look down and seem sad and depressed. If we see someone like this, we should smile or wave. Most people don’t think it will help that much at first, but just that little wave or smile can go a long way. That little smile or wave can remind someone that someone does care, and that there is life on this planet.

People can also touch others through actions. There are those days where you are sad and you don’t want to talk about it you just want to cry. We just want someone to be there for us. Someone to hug us, someone to tell us its okay and everything will be alright, someone to cry on, someone to sit there with and simply comfort us. Just by that little touch, that effortless physical touch, we can help someone move on and feel okay again.

Most of the time, all people want is someone to listen to them and reinforce them. Or in some cases, just someone to talk to and that’s it. Simply by sitting there and listening to what they have to say, just giving them a chance to let it out, it can relieve the pressure they are feeling. People get lonely to. It can make people feel better just by simply having someone to sit there and to them. I have been to an old folk’s home before and most of the time all they want is someone to talk to. Someone to share all their experiences with. Not only are their stories interesting and amusing, it also makes others feel happy that they could be there for someone and make their day just a little better. There are so many ways in which human beings can touch others through words.

At some point in our lives people all reach out for this touch. It can take away all our loneliness, depression, and pressure. We all reach out for someone to touch us in any of these ways. We all reach and reach and sometimes it feels like there is no hope. Like we are trying to grab something, but it just keeps slipping out from between our fingers. Just this little tiny touch that’s all we want. That little tiny human touch is all we need to be healed. This I believe.