A Biography About Mirrors

Kaitlyn - Glen Dale, West Virginia

A Biography About Mirrors

One day, while putting in my color contacts, I thought of a brilliant idea- I should write a biography about mirrors. Some people may see them as a symbol of vanity and self indulgence, but I like to take a different approach. To me, a mirror is a path into the future, a ride to the past, and even a snapshot of the present. It always shows the truth no matter how hard I try to hide from it. Sometimes it shows me the good, the bad, and yes, even the ugly. I can even see it now, in twenty years at my inauguration as the governor of West Virginia saying, “As I look into the mirror I see an 18 year old girl who has dreams, a girl whose dreams stretch as far as the hills of West Virginia.” And the great thing about mirrors is that while I can see the future, I can also look into a mirror right now and see features that resemble my mom, my scar I got from running into a wall on my 2nd birthday, and that freckle that I always loved named Jordan.

New haircuts, bad makeup applications, guilt, and happiness are all so visible to me in the mirror. I can throw my fist in a rage of anger, smash it into a pile of pieces, and I’m still standing there staring myself in the eye. But you know what I can’t get my mind around? The fact that when I was a baby and my dad showed me my reflection for the first time, that I was staring at the same person I will stare at when I’m 80. It’s hard to believe, but it’s all true, and the mirror never lies. It’s like when you think you’ve lost ten pounds and then you look into the mirror and realize that you didn’t. Yeah, it’s not lying- you didn’t lose ten pounds. And do you know what else it does? It helps me in times of trouble. Just last week, I was getting dresses and I noticed the stream of toothpaste spit that was running down my face. If it weren’t for my trusty mirror, then I may have been ridiculed by my younger brother at the breakfast table. And we know we can’t have that.

So here’s to you old faithful, my mirror and companion, my helper and my guidance counselor. This is the praise that you’ve always wanted and deserved. I mean, can you believe that since you were created in 1291, that this is the first biography about you? It is shocking, but it’s also pleasing to know that this bio is authentic, fresh, and most importantly, unique. Within the next year you will relish the triumph when you see that this book is a New York Times bestseller. So here’s to you, my old mirror, thanks, and I hope you enjoy your first biography.