Andrea - Westland, Michigan
Themes: love

I believe in true and unconditional love; a love that is forever unwavering.

How do you define unconditional love? To each person, there is likely a difference of opinion, each answer being slightly different than another. To me, unconditional love is loving someone, with your entire mite, despite their actions toward you; loving while having no conditions, having no reservations, and expecting nothing in return.

How does someone, willing to give unconditional love, act toward you? Should you raise a hand to them and strike with all your might, they will turn right back to you and love you, seeking your forgiveness for whatever reasons you struck them. Should you have a horrifying day at work, and scream at them when you get home, they try and hug you, and share their peace with you to make you calm your pain. Should you need a shoulder to cry on, they are instantly by your side, no explanation required or expected. Should you be sick, and need comforting, they are beside you, until you are healed, regardless of the time it may take.

There are no boundaries with unconditional love; no request is too much, no expectation too high.

With these examples in mind, where do you find unconditional love? I challenge you; take a look around, it is a complex characteristic to locate.

I believe unconditional love cannot come from our fellow human beings, walking this earth right beside us. It is a painful thought, but one I am convinced of. We are born with the gift of unconditional love. However, as we grow, learning from our peers, developing expectations, our unconditional love starts to condition itself. We understand hurt, we understand pain and we hold grudges. We battle with friends, we fight with family, and we are capable of hurting people on purpose. We no longer understand unconditional love; the tainted world has ripped this gift from us.

To find unconditional love, you need not to turn to man, but to man’s best friend. I believe the only source in which a soul can find unconditional love is in their dog. Strike a dog or scream at the dog, they are still by your side. Punish the dog, shutting them in a crate, and as soon as you open it, who is begging your forgiveness? When you are sick, or hurt, who jumps on your bed and lies with you, however long it takes? Who carefully licks the tears away from your face after a painful day? Who just wants your love and to give you love, and nothing more in return? Who doesn’t care that you got a ticket on the way home from work? Who doesn’t mind that you didn’t ace your chemistry exam? Who will always listen to you, however long you need to vent, and never say the wrong thing back? Only your dog, your best friend, no other person is capable of that sincerity.

Some days it seems such a painful joke, that God puts these creatures on Earth, into our lives, knowing we will not outlive them; that we will suffer, and grieve, at the loss of their life. But anyone who has had a dog, understands this bond, and understands why we are willing to do it over and over again, regardless of the pain. I believe it is for the simple pleasure of unconditional love, which we cannot obtain from anywhere else on this earth, that we are blessed with this degree of love from our canine companions.

I believe in unconditional love; I just believe you need locate a cold, wet nose, in order to find it.