I Believe

Mayra - Gypsum, Colorado

I believe that books are portals to other worlds, times, places, and spaces. All you have to do is open one and off you go.

Mystery books are where people disappear without a trace. Murderers are in the next room. Even missing objects that were there a minute before, but now are not even in sight.

Fiction books are where magic happens in the modern world. Powers that are unseen, secrets, and betrayals are everywhere around you. Enemies in every corner, yet not many people talking heed of the warnings.

Fantasy books are where any animal can speak, fairies, demons, dragons, spirits, and evil lurk just around the bend. There are people with magic powers that can destroy entire cities with just a word, or phrase. These men are power hungry, wanting more and more, or just trying to help the people, and seldom get thanked for it. Humans, ogres, elves, vampires, werewolves, and dwarfs that wield weapons like swords, daggers, knives, clubs, spikes, and dirks in order to protect and defeat their enemies. Trying to either protect their kingdom or destroy it.

In science fiction you will see things never imagined before. People are living on different planets, man made worlds, and different universes. Where you can space travel and live with alien life forms. There are machines that can transport you to a different planet in the blink of an eye.

Romance books are where love is found in the most unlikely places, and ways. Hero’s rescuing their lady love from the mad baron or evil king. The books where the best friends fight against each other in order to win the love of a girl they both met and fell in love with. There are seen and unseen obstacles that the main characters have to go over.

I believe that all books have these portals, big or small, they all lead to a different place. You open the cover and off you go, into a novel where a girl is having trouble in school. She has next to no friends, and she is hurting, but she is too stubborn to ask for help. A girl that thinks she is nothing and nobody would ever care whether she lives or dies.

Another book shows a prince that is too spoiled and naïve to know the difference between belief and reality. Soon he is learning the difference with the help of an unpredictable man, who might just kill, if he could. Then he gets attached to the prince and manages to save his life.

I believe that as you read, your imagination goes wild, as you picture the characters, events, twists, turns, problems, solutions, desperation’s, and actions in the book. You loose yourself completely to the world in the book, never noticing anything, until someone shakes your shoulder, bringing you out of that fantastic world. This I believe.