Owen - Soldotna, Alaska

I believe that families should focus on spending time together. It is important to experience family life in order to create strong relationships. Having a close and secure relationship with your family is especially important because it helps to build relationship skills that are used later in life. My family has taught me how to be respectful, give heartlessly and most importantly love unconditionally.

Family vacations are the perfect way to escape from hectic schedules and have a chance to connect with your family in a relaxing environment. Many of my favorite and longest-lasting memories happened on vacation. One day I will never forget was the time just my Dad and I drove twelve hours round trip to see Kilauea Volcano. It is amazing the things our family has discovered about each other while having fun together.

I believe it is extremely important to sit down and have meals together, and to use that time to talk about your day and communicate. My family eats dinner together almost every night of the week, and prior to that we often make the meal together. After the meal, we enjoy playing a family game like Scrabble or Pinochle. This is a special time to become closer as a whole and distract us from partaking in solo, non-productive activities such as watching television or playing mindless video games, however, the occasional family movie is also fun and enjoyable. Interaction on a daily basis is one of the best ways to bond as a whole family.

Not only should you spend time with immediate family, but also older generations of grandparents. I am extremely lucky to still have both pairs of grandparents on this earth and have immensely strong relationships with them both. They have taught me a great deal about love, compassion, fairness, and the value of hard work. Every summer we all spend time at our cabin on McDonald Spit. Even on the rainy days, we manage to

have the best of times playing games and just talking. This last summer I enjoyed the experience of a week alone with my grandparents in our cabin on the beach. I got to help Grandpa fix stuff and helped out Grandma in the kitchen making dinner and dessert.

Having a close relationship with your family is valuable in the process of creating other relationships. Setting aside time to share as a family gives an opportunity to talk about problems, learn how to have fun and foster exceptional relationships. As said by a good friend of mine, “Some of the best teachings come from your family.”