What you get back is so much better then what you give

Mary - Snohomish, Washington

I believe what you get back is so much better then what you give.

I tend to think of being nice to others differently. You see, everyone has a golden light inside their hearts. For some of us it dimly glows, or for others its off. And there’s always moments when the light is glowing. I don’t think anyone has a golden light all the time. Your golden light glows when you least expect it. When someone does a random act of kindness. That’s why I joined the R.A.K.E club at my school. R.A.K.E stands for Random Acts of Kindness Ect. Each week we are given a simple task, like giving out chocolate hugs with notes attached saying, “You are loved, here’s a hug!” For me it used to always be an obligation. I thought, “As a human being, breathing and living on this earth its my job to treat others kindly.” It was almost my type of jury duty, except I enjoyed it.

But I never realized how doing something so simple and nice for someone could illuminate my own golden light. Just watching the way people react when something kind is randomly done for them fills me with happiness. It took nothing for me to give them something like a hug, compliment, or simple “hellos!” They’re so harmless to give, and they make someone who once possibly felt unnoticed, feel noticed. It makes them feel important because they are! They’re an important part of the chain. It’s now their turn to ignite someone else’s light, and fill someone else with happiness, and make someone else feel noticed and important. Seeing their happiness, knowing it’s contagious, and imagining the out come of one simple act and how it could change the world fills me with my own golden light and makes me smile like nothing ever could.