Passion For Singing

Jenna - Snohomish, Washington

I believe that having a passion keeps you going forward in life. For me, my passion is music. I am a singer, and singing has kept me on track and heading in the right direction all through high school. From freshman year to senior year, singing has kept me motivated.

I’ve always had singing to focus on and keep me pursuing my goals. Freshman year, when kids were getting into drugs, I avoided it because I wanted to be an amazing vocalist. Kids would offer me drugs and I had the power to say, “No thanks. I’m a singer and I don’t want to mess that up.”

During sophomore year, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. I could have gone into a complete state of depression and loneliness, but since I had singing, I stayed mostly positive and cheerful through the whole experience. Singing and choir was a place for me to forget all my troubles and be happy and focus on the things I love in life. Choir was like a close knit family, they were my support when I was down in this hard time. Choir always kept me going.

My junior year was tough. I had a lot of hard classes and teachers I did not appreciate. Every morning, I would wake up and say to myself, I don’t want to go to school. For me this was unusual. I have always been one of those people who jumps out of bed excited to learn, but junior year was miserable. The only thing that kept me going to school was choir. I could sing all period long and forget how much I hated the rest of the day. The class period was heaven to me and kept me going to school and on the right track.

Senior year came, and I started looking at colleges and what I wanted to do with my life. I realized that my passion for music had helped me through all different kinds of situations the past few years. It was then that I decided I wanted to go to college to continue with music. I stayed focused on high grades because I had this passion. I went and auditioned at Western Washington University because of their outstanding music program, and not only was I accepted, they considered my singing exceptional and I am now open to scholarship opportunities. Coming into the last two months of high school, I have a drive to do well and not let senioritis steer me away from my passion.

Every year throughout high school, a passion for singing kept me on the right track. From the drugs, to depression, to giving up, and to college, I made it through because of my singing. I believe that a passion keeps you moving forward in life. For me it is my meaning of life.