I Believe that Even a Few Words can Change Your LIfe

Shayla - Snohomish, Washington

I Believe that Even a Few Words can Change Your Life.

December 12, 2007, I was a junior in high school and a few words changed my life. I was on my way home from the doctors with my family. The car was fairly quiet besides the light music in the background while my mom had to tell my younger brother and I that my father had been diagnosed with cancer. These few words honestly flipped my life upside down.

Now, April of 2009, my life has changed in many different ways, and I have also changed. Some areas of my life changed more then others. So far, my father has beaten the odds and is still alive. Ironically, I am the happiest I have ever been. My life may seem a little crazy considering everything, but it has made me who I am.

Many Life changing events have taken place. My life has changed financially, my dad can no longer work, my mom now has to work for the first time in seventeen years, and our home looks like a hospital with life equipment everywhere. This was and still is very hard on my brother. My dad has also undergone 3 surgeries that have all involved breaking his brain shelf and cleaning out his sinus area where his tumors are located. Hospice visits every other day to give my dad his medications and my dad has also had to do radiation on just his head.

These intense treatments on his head have caused brain damage. Like everyone, my dad has his good days and bad days. My dad’s bad days included the behavior of a fifth grader, the temper tantrums of a three year old, forgetful memory of a ninety five year old, and the deafness of a war veteran. His bad days seem to be outnumbering his good days, making it very frustrating on my family and me. I have changed in many ways. I have grown up, and I have realized that I took many things for granted: even life. With all of these events, mixed emotions, and medical error you are bound to grow up and change.

Now my dad has out lived his three death sentences. The most recent one was October of 2008. The doctors claimed he would be lucky to be alive by then. He is still beating his odds against this aggressive cancer. My dad is considerably in high sprits and even through fear he seems to be accepting what is happening. On April 17, 2009 my family and I are fulfilling one of my father’s dreams with the help of his hospice and taking him to a NASCAR race in Phoenix, Arizona. My dad is a huge fan of NASCAR and now we have pit passes and front row tickets. This will be a memory none of us will ever forget.

My dad’s early death sentence, at the age of 47, has proven so much to me:

1. Don’t take life for granted.

2. Take your health seriously.

3. Tell people how you feel because one day they may not be there anymore to hear it.

4. What doesn’t kill you truly only makes you stronger.

This is my senior year in high school, and I have become very close to my family. I have worked hard and focused on school to peruse my dream dads dream with him as my inspiration to go to college and become a doctor. I am going to Central Washington University to study pre med with my dad as my inspiration. Life can change in a matter of a few words, but its how you deal with them that affects the outcome.