The Gift Of Love

Hilaree - Austin, Texas
Themes: love

Your heart just grew three times bigger. You’ve just realized that you’ve received the greatest gift of all time. Something almost unimaginable: The free devotion of another soul. Everything you are just burst into bloom.

I believe that love is a gift, not an obligation. I received my gift of love on September, 17,2007. That is when someone actually started to love me, and love me for me, not hope for anyone thinner of prettier. My love knew that I prefer carnations to roses, and that my eyes aren’t black, but dark brown with specks of gray. This boy went to war for me to protect my heart. At that time it seemed impossible to find someone like him. But just like a snowfall coming down in June: impossible, but it could be true.

Older people may think or say that young love isn’t real, but love is love. No one is obligated to give love, but when you receive it from another person, it can be the most amazing gift anyone can ever give or receive.

I say he went to war for me to protect my heart. There had been a point in time where we split up, due to serious problems that seemed as if they would only get worse. He made sure that if I were to end up dating someone else, they wouldn’t hurt me.

“Hey man, this girl still means the world to me”, He told a guy I started to get close to. “Don’t hurt her in any kind of way or we will have problems.”

I feel that if a person is real enough to admit that he is still in love with you, he really does love you. He has given you his gift of love, and from the looks of it, is not going to take his heart back in which he has given you.

To this day, we still have some kind of hold on one another. Its as if we were made to love each other. I finally see that there’s no substitute for what we had. And what we shared I can’t forget. A love like his, no one should just let slip away.

You can tell if you’ve received the “real” gift of love, because it’s the kind of love where you cant explain why it makes you weak. The kind of love that’s worth all the trouble. If you feel as if you have to force yourself to love someone, or that you’re in love alone, then let go and keep waiting for your un-obligated gift. It can change you into a better or much stronger individual, only if you believe. Again I say: “Love is a gift, not an obligation”. This I do believe.