I Believe in a Helping Hand

Elizabeth - Soldotna, Alaska

I Believe in a Helping Hand

Experiences impact our lives the most. It first occurred to me last summer how much a helping hand can bring out the good in others. It wasn’t just one helping hand but many that made my mom’s life easier in time of need.

Late afternoon on June 5, 2008, my brother and mom were in a car accident. The car caught the edge of the road, swerved left and right, and rolled off the side of the road on its roof. Immediately after the car had stopped, people stopped to see if they could lend a hand. Amazingly, my brother was able to get out of the car unharmed, but my mom was unconscious and stuck in the passenger seat upside down. A man, perhaps in his thirties, tried getting my mom’s seat belt unlatched but it was stuck. My mom had regained conscious and was in a panic. The man ended up cutting the seat belt in order to get her free. He also helped to get her out of the car. We didn’t know him, but still we appreciate his kindness and willingness to help.

After many visits to the hospital for testing, surgery, and follow-ups, my mom would need help. She had fractured her left wrist, damaged a finger on her right hand, and had several terrible bruises on her head, shoulders, and knees. It would take time to heal.

It was pretty clear she would need a lot of help and support during this healing time. Instinct and love for my mom chose me to step up, along with others, to be the helping hand my mom needed. I washed dishes, learned how to cook meals, and do laundry. Aside from the chores at our house, my mom was working at her school in the summer school program. With the use of only one good arm (her job requires both), she needed help. The choices were either quit summer school or go in struggling. My parents had been sitting at the table discussing this when they came up with the idea of me helping. They asked me if I was willing and I said, “Yes!” The only hold up was to check with her teacher and boss to see if it would be aright if I came in to help.

I was welcomed into the group with open arms by the staff. I worked with two groups of children, while also helping set up class things for my mom. As time went on her wrist got better and stronger through physical therapy and time.

It is lessons and experiences that help us to learn to be a better person. The best part about it is feeling happy helping someone else. I’m pleased I was old enough and able to help my mom at this time, and feel I’m a better person because of it. Sometimes people return it back to you.