Learning Disability

Kathleen - Harwich, Massachusetts

Learning Disabilities: For This I Believe

I have been out of school for 11 years on and off. I wanted to be a good example to my children letting them know life is hard, but its how we deal with those challenges. Don’t let fear, or any one get in the way of what you want in life. So, I decided a year ago, to go and get tested. I wanted to find out exactly what kind of learning disability I have, so I can get the help that I need and learn to deal with it and get the proper techniques to live my life and get through college. I know that being diagnosed with dyslexia was a relief. Now I know I am not dumb or lazy I just have to learn a different style of learning. I will one day get my masters in Special Education and help kids with the same learning disabilities.

I believe all children with disabilities are people too, and they too deserve a good education. As a young girl, growing up in the eighties with a learning disability was difficult. Back then, they didn’t know much about learning disabilities as they do today. They thought that kids were just being lazy, and trouble makers, so they figured let’s put them in basic class and push them through school, so we can focus on the kids who want to be here in school. My parents had me tested, but that didn’t do much. Yes, I was put on an IEP (Individual Education Plan) and had special help, it got me nowhere. So all through school and up to a year ago, I felt stupid and that I would never make much of myself. Even my guidance counselor in high school agreed with that.

School to me was torture, even though I was into sports and excelled in them, trying to make friends was hard. I usually kept to myself for fear of people knowing how dumb I was. I hated to be called on in classes, even if I knew the answer. I even hated being the center of attention.

The other day a student in my high school class passed away and I was going through my year-book just reminiscing, when I came across my picture and my ambition said that I wanted to take care of the unfortunate children in the world I still have those dream. Children in the world are our future and they deserve a good education, no matter how rich or poor, intelligent or unintelligent they are.