I believe we should all fight our fears

Gina - Star, Idaho
Themes: change, family, fear

When I was 4 years old a got a new step dad named Michael and a baby sister named Samantha. Things were going amazing and I was happy as I could be at that age. I loved Michael and the fun we all had together. I knew he wasn’t my dad but being so young that’s all I could think and as time went by things just went downhill from there. My baby sister went to live with my grandmother in weezer and my brother brad and I stayed with my mom and Michael and every other week went to my dads. One night that will always stick out in my mind my brother and my dad Gene went to swimming lessons and I was at home with my mom doing dishes after we made dinner, this was on of my favorite things to do with her

We would make dinner together, eat, and do the dishes. I would take a bath and we would put curlers in my hair and watch movies until bedtime. And everything was going as planned that Tuesday night until Michael came home from the bar and was just screaming at the top of his lungs at my mom. I didn’t understand why and at first I thought maybe he was playing around with her, because that’s what he always said. But this “playing around” had been happening a lot lately. He grabbed her and just like any other five year old would do I run to help her, thinking I’m invincible and can take a grown man down with no problem! I don’t remember much but all I can see is him grabbing the purple clean glass plate off the counter and throwing it in my direction. I remember me falling onto the ground and hearing my mom scream at him. I got up and he was pulling my mom into the room by her hair. As he grabbed the gun I start to cry, and cry. I run into the room and see him reaching for the bullets. I remember my mom yelling “GINA! GO!” I ran outside to my neighbors and they knew exactly what was going on. They call 9-1-1. I don’t think I could thank god enough for helping my mom. Michael dropped the bullets behind the dresser and couldn’t get them before the police got there. And I honestly know that god was watching.

See, we all face these fears. The Fear of dying will always be in my mind. But we all die! And I had to learn that not all Step-dads aren’t bad. My mom has been married to my step-dad Daniel for 11 years and I absolutely love him. But I had to get over the fear of him hurting and attempting to kill my mother. I’m scared of many things and courage honestly does take practice. But I work at it everyday