I believe in giving a better life

Andrew - Grove City, Minnesota
Themes: family, immigrant

I Believe in Giving a Better life

As I walked into the mall to see a movie, my friends and I pass some Hispanic Americans scattered about the entrance they were chatting lively to each other in their Spanish tongue. “Hey what are they saying?” One of my companions asked as we waited in line to get in. In all honesty, I kind of wish I could of replied, I do know but I could not. Sadly, this is just one of the prices a person pays for being adopted.

Though I know nothing of my heritage or my culture, or can fluently speak my country’s native tongue. Not a day goes by that I do not thank my birthmother for allowing me to see the world and live a new day. I know giving me up was the biggest decision she had to make, however, she knew that the chances of me surviving were very slim. She loved me so much that she’d rather put me in the hands of another to ensure that I lived a better life than suffer in the world she was living in.

The streets of Honduras are poverty stricken and dangerous; my biological mother knew that even if she decided to keep me and I lived, it wouldn’t be long before I would be either dead or in jail, and she didn’t want to see me either happen to me. I love my biological mother even though I do not know her. I can’t thank her enough for giving me the gift of life. I enjoy a happy average day to day life where I don’t have to worry about running with gangs I don’t have to sell drugs to make money or live in fear of starvation or dying. She wanted what was best for me, and I love her for it. One day I plan to go back to Honduras to find her and show her that I am doing great because of the opportunity that she gave me. I want her to see that I am doing well and I’m healthy and she can be proud of me as I am of her for giving me a better life.