The Greatest Friends of ALL

Elle - San Luis Obispo, California

A best friend believes in you and is someone who knows you better than anyone ever will. Lauren is my best friend; we met in the first grade, continued on to high school together, and now we are even college roommates. She will always be one of my utmost friends; but, as influential and loving as she might be, there are some things that she and all other humans are merely unable to contribute to a friendship. And that is why I believe dogs make the greatest friends of all.

My dog will stay home on a Friday night, cuddle up, and watch a movie with me when my boyfriend is at “boy’s night.” She will jog around town when my brother and other friends claim they are too tired. And on those early mornings when I accidently burn my toast as I am rushing out the door, Mischa will do nothing but scarf down the black charcoaled piece of toast, followed by an indescribable look. A look as if I am a world renowned chef. My dog is the only one who will continuously, without fail, treat me a like a when i walk in the front door…even if I was chatting across the street to my neighbor for all of three minute. These are only a few of countless reasons why dogs are simply the most incredible, compassion, and unbelievable friends.

Dogs have an innate ability to sense their owner’s emotions. I consider Mischa, my four-year old Maltese Poodle, to be the absolute master of distinguishing my feelings; believe it or not she knows the sound of my cry. Even if my cry is quiet- or fake for that matter- she will come running from the family room into my bedroom, jump on me and attack me with a ridiculous amount of slobbery kisses. Whenever I am feeling down she is the first to comfort me; and when I need to run around town and do some errands, she will keep me company by being my shotgun rider.

Dogs aren’t only pets or a best friend, they can be a life savers. Surprisingly enough, dog trainers now have the ability to teach dogs how to detect the smell and residue of certain foods. These dogs are used as service dogs for individuals with severe food allergies. Although Mischa is not a professional who saves lives day after day; she is a life saver in my eyes.

About a year ago, on a sunny, spring afternoon, my mom and I were in the backyard lying by the pool. We went inside to grab a quick bite to eat, while leaving Mischa and my brother’s dog Stella outside. The next thing I knew, Mischa came running inside and started to whimper and vigorously scratch my leg. Right then I knew something was wrong; Stella and Mischa never left each other’s side, and why was Mischa acting so strangely? I darted out to the backyard only to find Stella wheezing with a completely swollen face; she had been stung by a bee on her nose. After going to the vet’s office, little Stella ended up being okay. But I am still convinced to this day, Mischa saved Stella’s life. She once again proved dogs are the absolute most loyal friend not only to their owners but to their dog friends too.

Dogs manifest unconditional love and have a unique devotion to their owners and friends. They know how to bring a smile to anyone’s face. Human can attempt to do the same, however dogs just have something about them that is distinctively greater. I am blessed enough to say I have my little pup, Mischa, and my irreplaceable human friend Lauren- and I would never want it any other way.