dennis - Chicopee, Massachusetts

There was this girl that lives around where I live, about two houses down. Her name is Lala. Lala was always being creative with herself. That’s what caught my eyes because to me everyone else was boring to look at, except Lala.

One time she painted her hair blue trying to be different. She came outside and I was the first one to see her hair like that. I thought it was cool. I think I was the only one because after that everybody from where we live started saying that a smurf pooped in her hair. Lala smiled about it. But right after she smiled a tear came down. I knew she was hurt just from the look on her face.

Another time, she must have watched a rock video because she put holes in her pants, hoping that people had seen the same music video and would think she was cool. But instead they started saying she was poor and broke and that was the reason for the hole in her pants. One kid said that he rather walk naked then have pants with holes in them.

I was upset with the way people were treating Lala, calling her words that hurt her. It made me think about myself. I was worried about being different because of the things that people might say to me.

I didn’t see Lala for awhile after the incident with the hole in the pants. Summer came and I was outside and I saw Lala. I think she was leaving to go on vacation. I was a little sad because there was going to be nothing good to look at all summer. But first things first, I had to tell Lala how I felt about what people were saying to her. About the words that hurt her. I told her that I was sorry for those words. I told her that I loved the different things she was doing with herself and that she should not stop just because of the mean things that people say. I even told her that old saying, sticks & stone may break her bones but words will never hurt her. She smiled and said that my words meant a lot to her. She gave me a tap kiss on the lips and said that she wished I would have told her sooner.

I will never forget that talk with Lala. Everything that happened with Lala showed me to believe in and accept everyone’s individuality because it makes the world more interesting.