The Perfect Pillow

Ben - San Luis Obispo, California

The Perfect Pillow

Simply, I believe in the perfect pillow. The pillow is the gateway into an imaginary world. A world where there are no limits, no fears and no homework. This world puts the body in a hypnotic state that revitalizes your soul, body and mind.

When I was in high school, insomnia itched beneath my skin at night, causing me

to lose precious hours of sleep. If I was lucky, I would sleep around three hours a night. This would affect my performance in school, work and life. I needed a way to escape from the verge of insanity. One day, I finally dragged myself into the doctor’s office to get some words of wisdom.

I have had no previous knowledge about insomnia and was surprised that I even had it. I almost felt a sense of normality, yet I could not be farther from the truth. Instantaneously, my doctor prescribed a remedy that would clear my head and surround me with tranquility—the perfect pillow.

After an exhausting day in the real world, I can now rest my head on a conforming, spongy, yet bendable pillow, only known as the Tempur-Pedic. Once I close my eyes, I instantly ponder how such a pillow can support my most essential extremity. This thought is bombarded with others at the same velocity. My mind steps into a whirlwind of imagination. I can reach out and grab ideas with ease, but only with my perfect pillow.

I am revitalized. I wake up fully rested, completely relieved from the normal stresses in life. I feel like a different person, friendlier and more relaxed. Full of confidence and swagger, I can gravitate to successes in life. I do not bite my nails in a job interview nor do I sweat profusely when I am standing up here giving this speech. Instead, I stand tall and speak with precision and fluidity. I am obligated to give my perfect pillow all the credit.

The point here is that now, I have an answer to my troubles. Now, I have something to lean back on, something to trust. Overall, my pillow revitalizes my mind, getting me ready to take on the world. Because of this, my university, classmates, friends, coworkers and teammates will benefit from my energy, curiosity and imagination. It is mind warping how something as simple as a pillow can represent so much of an individual, similar to the throne of a pharaoh. A pharaoh’s throne would have been skillfully sculpted from the finest gold and rubies to engulf the mold of that pharaoh’s personality. For me, I just simply have ruby-red pillow case. My pillow is why I am here today, to develop myself as a human being. So I ask you, what is your perfect pillow?