Being a Good Friend

Nilsa - Chicopee, Massachusetts

When my friend Karen called me on Wednesday and said that she needed me to watch her son James for her, I didn’t ask any questions. I went right over. When I got there she told me that she had relapsed on drugs and thought she wouldn’t be able to take care of him like she was supposed to. I love James like he was one of my own kids. My mind was made up. I didn’t want him to see his mother high.

I know that Karen calling me means that she knows that James is safe with me. She has a lot of trust in me. I have no problems when it comes to being trusted. I have showed people that they can always count on me no matter what. As for James I would never leave him in a bad situation. He is a very bright kid with a very bright future. We did a lot of things together like play with his toys. We went to the park and ran around until he was all tired out. He was with me from Thursday morning until Monday morning. I was very sad when he left.

When James didn’t want to eat or when was told to go to bed he would turn his head and bring he’s eyebrows together and say no. I would say, “Come here, baby James, it is time to go to sleep, ok?” He would put his pacifier in his mouth, lay down on the bed and he would say, “ok.” As far as the future for Karen I really don’t know. I do know this, it was the first and I hope the last time she relapsed. But if it ever happens again I would be there for her again. I see James a lot as a matter of fact, I was there yesterday and when he saw me he started to jump up and down and gave me a very big hug.

So at the end of the day being a friend means a whole lot to me. And having Karen and James in my life is a good thing. I’m happy that I was there. James brought a very good feeling into my home. If I had to do it again I wouldn’t think twice about doing it. A lot of people say that Karen should be happy that she has a friend like me. But if you really look at it I was lucky to have her as a friend. Because she gave me the opportunity to get to know such an awesome kid. Being a good friend makes me feel like I am somebody. I know now that people will look at me very different now. Being thought of as a good friend makes my whole world seem so much better. Also knowing that I can be dependable makes me very happy and proud of myself.