My Best Friend

Christina - San Luis Obispo, California

My palms are sweaty, my heart is racing, and every eye in the audience is on

center stage where they are anticipating the arrival of a fresh and new voice. As I

start singing, I become less nervous and more anxious because I soon know I will hit

the highest note possible.

I believe in music. I believe in singing—in the car, the shower, and

out in public anywhere—that this can be one of the greatest joys that can come out

of life.

I used to play the violin for six years, but I now play another instrument: my

voice. In middle school and high school music was my life. Growing up my Mom

never had the money to send me to private voice lessons, so I instead resorted to

practicing on my own and joining my school choir. Although the music I would sing

in Choir was something that I wouldn’t consider listening to on the radio there was

still a thrill I received when performing in front of a huge audience. Days when I had

to perform in front of a crowd caused an adrenaline rush through my body. Days

when I would perform for a music festival would be filled with apprehensiveness

and excitement. During one performance I became very nervous because I was

being critiqued by three judges at a music festival. Although, I was aware that

I had fumbled over the pronunciation of some French words, I knew that even

though I wasn’t always perfect it never mattered because I gave my best effort. At

the end of every performance I always felt proud of myself. I felt proud that my

practice after endless practice resulted in a worthy performance.

Throughout choir I learned all about the subject matter of music, which

included: counting beats, determining the scale, and reading notes. I also learned to

be a part of a group that shared the same common interest as myself. Everyone

cooperated as a single assemblage. Everyone had to depend and trust one another to

make sure that no one came in early or no one was out of tune and if one person was

off, the whole group was off. In choir you really had to have trust in people, it wasn’t

a one person gig, it was a collaborated effort. We all knew that our devotion to one

another would never end. No one wanted to mess up anyone else, but the one thing

we did want was to deliver a show that would astound people.

After my years in choir I began writing my own songs and sheet music. My

lyrics were written from the moments that had made a significant impact on my life

like: the days that were filled with tears due to a relationship, or the love struck

days, or the memorable moments I shared with my girlfriends. None of my lyrics are

sugar coated; my lyrics represent everything that has made me into the person I am

today. They are a symbol of what I have endured through and without music the

appreciation of my life would be gone. No longer would I be able to sing to my

favorite karaoke songs or dance to my favorite beats.

Music is my best friend. It helps me get through crummy days, enjoy the

summer days, and reveal my emotions. It is always there for me. It is always vibrant

and loud. Music is always blasted through my radio, while I celebrate my victories

and losses.