We crash into one another for a reason: This I believe.

Ashlee - Rockton, Illinois

I believe in crashes. The way we enter and exit each other’s lives; in a way it is like a crash. The way life happens in general or the way life gives you the people you need at the right time whether you think so or not. Maybe that person will knock the wind out of you and kick you to the ground, but then they will build you stronger. On the other hand faith may send a different person to reconstruct that broken spirit even if that person doesn’t think the help is needed. People may not have as much say as they think; moreover I believe it has more to do with faith. Nevertheless I feel we can choose to use aids or weapons. Aids as kindness and compassion and weapons as anger and discrimination.

Despite my mother delivering me when she still attended high school, her intelligence drove her to acceptance by multiple colleges. Thereafter she left me to be raised by my grandparents. I imagine the way she must have felt: like a crash, and her whole world changing.

When I was in fourth grade my grandparents filed for divorce, but never went through with it. Later my grandma claimed I was the reason they stayed together, in addition their relationship is better than ever. So perhaps that crash produced something better than expected.

Over a year and a half ago my mother left to another country while we were in a fight. I was devastated. I felt that crash for certain. The scrape of the paint being ripped off of the metal, the cringing sound that makes your heart stop and the mess of tiny broken pieces left scattered on the ground. I dealt with the situation the best I could, but I felt like there was an empty space inside of me.

Then I met my boyfriend who changed my life, along with his mother named Wendi. I didn’t live with her, and she didn’t take care of my bills like my grandparents did, but she gave me the feel for something I had lost and something I had never had. She made sure I had delicious meals, she was open to talk about anything, she went to movies with me, and completely covered me with kindness. But more importantly she didn’t judge me, she tried more than anything to help me and be as understanding as she could. She was like the mother I never had. Overall it is evident that I have so much respect for her, because of the way she handles situations, the person she is, and the people she has created.

Life brings us what we need good or bad, hard or easy, unforgiving or unforgettable. Enabling people to make it through our lives the way we were meant too. We just crash into each other’s lives making an incrediable impact.