Luck and Friends

Tim - Roscoe, Illinois

I believe in luck. Luck is not just a concept or a figure of speech; it’s played out in life every day. You may see it, or you may not. It is the things in life you cannot explain. It takes many forms, good or bad. You can never see luck until it has past. I believe that I see it every day through the people that surround me.

It was homecoming dance; I was there with my friends and participating in the Michael Jackson dance-off with my friends. The music was blaring and the bad dance moves kept on escalating. The competition was fierce. Unfortunately I lost because my opponent used his tie to wind in one of the ladies watching. Despite my ego being bruised, I was having a good time. Then the slow dance came. I was about to walk out until a girl said she would dance with me. I knew her; she sat at my lunch table and would sometimes help me with Spanish. She was just a friend of a friend so we never really talked. She was real shy. I would look at her and she would make eye contact with her sea blue eyes, and quickly look away. By the second slow dance, we found each other again. We danced and talked a little more. By the end of the dance, we walked out hand in hand. She is still the most special person in life.

How can you explain finding someone special, a friend, a soul mate, a mentor? Chaos theory, law of gravitation, butterfly effect, science will always fail to explain it. The word is luck. You can’t explain how you meet people, all you know is that you’re lucky to know them, whether they are a friend or a foe.

Luck can turn against you. It’s the things in your life that you wish didn’t happen. Just as easily as you find someone, you can lose them. With a heart attack, with words, or time just swallows them up, luck is the only explanation. It’s a sad concept but an important one. I believe it is the best thing to blame other than people or objects because it relieves that burning hate that consumes many.

We see how luck is all around us, how we cannot control it, how we cannot recognize it, how we cannot predict it. The most important thing is to look around ourselves and be thankful for it. Good or bad, luck has made each one of us stronger, unique, different especially by the people we’ve met. Luck is undoubtedly a powerful force, and all we can do to combat it is to make the most of it. I believe we can all do that by keeping the friendships we have with each other strong because we certainly are lucky to have them.