This I Believe, The Earth

Maurice - Wyandotte, Michigan

I believe that the greatest creation of all time is the Earth, with its wondrous mystery. Never before in the history of mankind has something been studied so much and remained such a mystery. There are many theories on how the Earth was formed, but this is still a matter of which theory you believe in. It’s not to say that any other creation such as people, wildlife, or other natural wonders are any less of a miracle, but the Earth and all of its glory still fascinates us. All too often we don’t take time to stop and admire what is all around us because sometimes the view is very subtle, a forest, lake, or river does not seem to be a miracle of nature until we under- stand how they were formed. The more majestic views such as the Grand Canyon, the Rocky Mountains, and the Badlands are hard to ignore and actually demand our attention with their great beauty. From the beaches coast to coast and around the world we have so much to see and enjoy and who could possible overlook the Great Lakes of the north. We can only imagine the vast unspoiled lands that existed before the impact of modern man when the air was crystal clear, as was the water and land.

The need to preserve the Earth has never been more urgent than it is right now. We must all work together to protect the very source of life that we depend on for every breath we take and every drink of water that is essential to our survival. It really is tragic to see the greatness of the Earth deteriorate over the few short centuries of human involvement with so much waste being put into the air the water and the ground it’s hard to predict if the Earth can make a full recovery. But there is hope due to the resent efforts from environmental groups, some industries and the people in general who are fighting to save what is the single most important creation to us all the Earth.