Dream Big

Matthew - Rockton, Illinois

Dream Big

Every kid has big dreams. I had big dreams from the beginning and I still do in my senior year at high school. My aspirations have included everything from being in the CIA to being a professional musician, the possibilities just seem endless. Last year a speaker came to my high school and what he said has stayed with me. He had a dream of working on a cruise ship and giving tours for guests on islands all over the world when he was sixteen. But he waited until he was in his twenties before he made that a reality. It was then, in the comfortable PAC chair, that his words settled on me and I decided never to give up on my dreams. This I believe.

When someone asks a child what they want to do when they grow up, anything is possible. At the crucial time in life when it is a personal responsibility to lay down a foundation for a lifetime; the beginning of utilizing everything learned in school, whether it be college, work, or something completely new, many people lose faith in their dreams. Take hold of the opportunities available, and grasp a future that will be forever enjoyable. I started taking guitar lessons when I was eleven after getting my first electric guitar. I wanted to learn how to play after hearing a Red hot Chili Peppers album; which is still my favorite band. I am thankful for my parents providing me with lessons for so long, and now I have decided to continue with music by going to college for music education. I feel that this is another step in achieving my childhood dream of becoming a professional musician and I am excited to see where it will take me.

If the world stops dreaming big, no progress can be made. I believe that the young, old, and those in the middle can make a big difference in the world, and that their dreams should be respected and pursued. Small steps can have big results just like donating food or helping those in need, and should never be given up on. The key to saving this world from hunger and poverty is to dream big and go after those dreams in any way possible. Recently there have been many young children stepping up by making donations to issues many adults wouldn’t think about. They are setting the example for all to follow. No issue is too hard to overcome, and just like I continued to follow my childhood dreams, all should continue to dream big for the sake of the world.