Never Be Satisfied

Steven - Cincinnati, Ohio

Never Be Satisfied

A teacher in high school once told me, “Good is the enemy of great”. He helped me realize and believe never to be satisfied. This message was only fortified by Xavier University President Father Michael Graham in his first speech to the Xavier’s class of 2012 when he told the incoming class, “Good enough isn’t”. Complacency is something that everyone wants to avoid, and these two quotes have helped me avoid being complacent in the past, and has in turn made me a more inspired person.

The toughest part of never being satisfied is to realize that there is always more to be done. For example, Barack Obama is the leader of our country and is in a position that would make 99.9% of the United States satisfied. However, Mr. Obama needs to realize his work has only begun, and he will constantly need to push himself to work as hard as he can possibly can for either four or eight years in office. Similarly, a professional athlete that makes hundreds of millions of dollars must understand that the only thing that can justify his or her contract is his or her play on the field. Even though the athlete is financially set for life, their legacy will ultimately be determined by how they between the lines under pressure.

While it may be easy to preach this point, performing the actions is extremely difficult. It takes a mentally strong person to overcome adversity, and use experiences of diversity as a learning experience to push themselves beyond the title of ‘good’. One quality a person needs to break through this title is passion. By being passionate, it is easy to get past the barrier of being ‘good’ because you have a genuine motivating factor that will help achieve greatness. Passion helps you realize that there is always something greater to accomplish. That passion helps you soar past mediocrity and land in the category of ‘great’. The only problem is, there is always something greater than great.