Power of Chance

Phoebe - Kenai, Alaska

I believe in chance. I believe that everything relies on chance and that chance truly has the power to change everything in an instant. It can snatch everything you have in a moment or hand you everything you never imagined could be yours. Life is all about chance and what could happen.

My mom is my life, and last Halloween chance almost took that from me. My mom was rushing home, in the dark, on icy roads, simply because I had asked her to. I did not need to be picked up; I wanted to be picked up. As I checked the time, irritated that I was waiting, chance brought me closer and closer to bad news. Shortly after my glance at the clock, my dad shot through the door hollering a jumble of panicked words I could not comprehend. Before I knew it, we were pulling up next to my mom’s car, which was stopped in a diagonal positioning in the road, however it was now smashed into something not so familiar. The brand new car was demolished, and from the looks of it, everyone expected my mom to follow.

As I jumped out of my dad’s car, I quickly realized what had done this damage. An enormous, now motionless, moose had obviously crossed paths with my mom. My mom, who had only been on this path due to my order. This thought gave me an immediate sick feeling, followed by unexpected, uncontrollable puking. It was previously far from grasp that my own selfish discomfort could’ve easily taken away everything. The first glimpse I got of my mom was not reassuring. Her face was masked with blood, and shattered glass was the only image I could see for the remainder of my night.

Obviously, this was an encounter with some not so lucky chance. This sometimes happens more often than I would like. But for every action, there is a reaction. The upside to chance. This could be the change in life that you desperately need or even just a mere coincidence that brings you a little closer to where you need to be. It is chance that makes me spontaneous and compulsive. It is chance that gives me possibilities without me having any knowledge of it. I believe that chance is my surprise and my motivation as well. I believe that chance controls my happiness, my sorrow, my confidence, my pain, and most of all, my destiny. Everything in life happens for a reason and everything that happens in life is a result of chance. So I believe in the power of chance, because who knows what will happen in the next moment or what could’ve happened in the last.