Melissa - Johnstown, Colorado

I believe that happiness comes from being who you truly are.

All throughout my life so far, there has been peer pressure to act or dress a certain way. Before I moved to Colorado I went to a high school in northeast Pennsylvania. There were many cliques there that had a certain mentality that if you were different from them, you were weird. Being a very self conscious person this made me feel like I needed to try to dress a certain way just so they wouldn’t make fun of me. I liked the way I dressed to begin with, but just hated getting teased. I decided to forget about the fact that they were mean and continued to dress the way I liked, however, I still had to act differently than I wanted.

I always tended to talk a lot which I guess was annoying to my friends. There were actually a bunch of things that my friends didn’t like about me. One day I confronted them on why they were not only acting differently around me but ignoring me. They told me that they just didn’t really like me anymore but cared enough to not tell me and act as if nothing was wrong. Where I went to school you only really had one group of friends, and I didn’t want to loose mine. Hence the reason I changed the way I acted when I was with them. I didn’t talk a lot; I just sat and listened to them talk to one another. I didn’t really like who I had become because I liked the way I was.

I knew that they weren’t all the best of friends to me but I still didn’t want to leave them when I had to move here to Colorado last August. I was afraid that people would find out who I truly am and wouldn’t want to be friends with me. That’s why when I would meet a new person I didn’t really show them who I was. I just didn’t really feel comfortable being myself until I knew they wouldn’t hate me down the road.

Although it took me a month after I met my best friend to show her who I truly am, I’m glad I finally found someone who didn’t care. Now I have a group of friends that actually like me for who I am and my unique personality. I can finally be myself around my own friends.

I’m a weird person and I’m proud of it. I wear a pair of jeans, a t-shirt, and my converse. I talk a lot and can probably be annoying sometimes. I may do all of this, but this is who I am. This is how I act and dress to make me feel comfortable. I am finally myself and I could not be any happier. True happiness really does come from being you.