I believe in heaven.

Andrea - Rockton, Illinois
Themes: afterlife

My great grandma, Alta Miller, was a very independent person her whole life. During the 14 years I knew her, she lived alone. Whenever I would visit her, she would always be sitting in her blue chair with her feet on a foot stool because she was too short to put her feet on the ground. She had white, curly, fluffy hair and wore very large glasses. She had a brown spot on her wrinkly nose from her glasses sitting there for so long.

My great grandma’s favorite thing to do (even when she was 99 years old) was to go bowling. My family always went bowling because that was what she loved doing most. I will always remember playing cards with her and my grandma; it was my favorite thing to do with them.

My great grandma never received her driver’s license, she didn’t need one. She always had loved ones that would take her places, and make sure she had everything she needed. My great grandma only experienced the thrill of being behind the wheel when she was helping her father on their farm when she was a little girl. She lived a simple and happy life.

Leaving all of her memories behind, she passed away and went to heaven in June of 2005.

It was the most difficult thing for me to comprehend; I couldn’t believe that my great grandma was gone forever. I couldn’t believe that I would never be able to hear her voice again. I couldn’t believe that I would never be able to hug her good bye or tell her I loved her ever again.

I had never felt the pain of loosing a family member; it was so hard for me. I didn’t want to believe that she gone. With her passing it made me think about what happens after life. Is there really a heaven?

What is it like? Do people’s spirits walk around on the clouds? Do they really look down on you and see what you’re doing? Can they still hear you when you talk to them?

To me heaven is the place where everyone goes after they pass away. I think that no matter how bad some one is during their life, if they ask for forgiveness, God will forgive them for their sins. Although heaven may not be all fluffy and white, where everything is bright and shiny, I think that heaven is a breathtaking place. I think that when people go to heaven they can reunite with their loved ones that have also pasted away. I think that heaven is a place where you can do whatever you want to, a place where anything is possible.

I suppose you will never really know what heaven is like or even if it is really real, but until I figure it out … I will keep believing that there is a magnificent place where everyone goes after their life on earth ends.

I believe that place is heaven.