County Life

Andrew - Il, Illinois
Themes: community, nature

I believe in the country life where wild wind blows fresh air, and where fields of golden crops grow, I have grown up with this life style all of my 18 years of life. I have seen the differences between the county life and the rural life. I think that the way of the country boy and the country girl is dwindling away to nothing. I have noticed that men and women alike have drifted away from what life rely means. The country life is the true meaning of life- hard work close friends and family, and attitude.

I believe that the old ways of the country are becoming harder and harder to find. There was a time when a whole town knew everyone’s first name, where their neighbors were just as close as an aunt or an uncle. There was a time when a household did not need a lock on the front door; in fact they did not even need a front door. My door was always open; I never once had the door locked. I never had to worry about bad people, I lived in the country you could trust everyone. I believe that the locks should be removed and the doors to be left open.

I believe in family and friends. Since I grew up in the county I had many friends and my family was always close. We never had a bad moment with family, and the friends that I had were as close as my cousins. Now I see friends and family fighting, lives being torn apart. I do not understand how people can treat others like they are just dirt underneath their finger nails. I think that it is wrong to judge people. Many people today only look into faces and makeup their mind in a split second. As for me, I take my time to learn about the person, only after that is when I make my decision about what I think about them. I believe that the county life has made me a better person.

I believe in county meals, where the whole family is around the table. I never once ate alone when I was home. At least one meal a day, my whole family showed up to eat. We would share stories of the day, pass chatter, make each other smile and talk about what tomorrow has to come. I have noticed lately that there is less and less of the whole family coming to dinner. I believe that that family has lost touch with one another, they are not complete. I believe that families that eat together are strong families.

I believe that the county life will come back to us one day. I think that people will open their eyes and see what they have been missing. They will forever see the true meaning of life, they way it was and the way it should be.

I believe in the country life.