I Believe In Optimism.

Katy - Roscoe, Illinois

I believe in optimism. I believe in the way things used to be. When sharing was considered a kind thing to do and not a sketchy decision. If people took the time to appreciate the little things maybe life would be more peaceful and enjoyable for everyone around them including themselves. Kindness goes a long way. It’s obvious to some people but others can be oblivious. A smile, a kind word or even just opening a door for someone can change a person’s outlook on things.

Everything that happens may be part of a bigger picture. There is a reason for everything. Even during a bad experience there is always something good that may come out of it. No one can change the past but they can look on things differently; in a whole new way. Make other peoples lives the way you would like yours to be. Or at least try to. Some people think that small gestures of kindness do not do anything therefore, there is not any reason to do them. I believe that without those small gestures the world would be in much worse shape.

I believe that an upbeat outlook on life can create a whole new side of a person. No matter how horrible your day is there is always someone whose day is going much worse. Most people don’t have it as bad as they think. And until someone hits them with that realization they go on living depressed and pessimistic. The chain will continue and drown others in their pessimism. I believe that something as tiny as saying “I like your hair today” can brighten someone’s day.

I believe in kindness. For example, there’s a story that changed my outlook on life. A freshmen boy started his first year in high school considered a nerd. No one had anything nice to say about him and in turn made fun of him every single day. One day he decided he had enough of being picked on. No one liked him therefore no one would care if he was gone. He gathered all of the books in his locker to take home. He said he did this because he “didn’t want his parents to have to go through the trouble.” He was planning on killing himself that night. When a group of jocks strolled by him and knocked over every book he had in his hand he felt certain he was making the right choice. What happened next is what changed his life. One of the jocks stopped and started helping him pick up his books. From that day on they became best friends. The boy never told his best friend that he had actually saved his life that day. In his graduation speech as valedictorian he told him for the first time that because of his kindness that day, he lived. Such a simple gesture as helping someone for a few moments can completely change a person life.