This I believe: Sports, unity, understanding, and a universal medicine

Dan - South Beloit, Illinois
Themes: sports

I believe in sports. It is a universal medicine that cures almost anything. Whether it be at the high school, college, or pro level, when a team unites a community, its presence is felt.

I believe in football soccer. The whole world shares the love of the game, and unites one civilization under the universal “goal”. Whether it be the world cup, regional club championship leagues, or children’s YMCA Saturday morning matches, one thing is certain: people share the love of the game. Although soccer is not popular in the United States, it will someday come around to sports fans. Impoverished countries all over the world still have something to smile about when the game of soccer is played, and those 90 minutes brings the fans into a zone that has excludes everyday stress. I believe that soccer united the world.

I believe in basketball. When the summer Olympic Games are played every four years, one of the main events is basketball. “March madness” NCAA division I basketball brings out the love of the game in everyone, and it is the time of the year when everyone fills out a bracket no matter what that individual’s interests are. Basketball is Michael Jordan. From his national championship with UNC to his dynasty in Chicago, the sport is now changed because of the mark he has left on it. I believe in Michael Jordan.

I believe in baseball. America’s favorite pastime runs through the veins of the fans of both old and young. The fan base is so diverse, and to see a grandfather and his grandchild enjoy a sport so much is amazing. From the days of Babe Ruth to the present, the game of baseball still present in our culture. Its successful history makes the game what it is today. Baseball is history. Baseball has grown popularity around the world as well. To show this, someday it may join the likes of soccer in broader international competition. To all the Chicago Cubs fans in the world (one being myself), someday our 100 year World Series drought will end. I believe in the friendly confines.

I believe in football. Known as the future titleholder of America’s favorite pastime, the passion of the sport is felt at home, in the stands, and on the gridiron. Uniting groups like “north siders” and “south siders” is not easy, but the sport of football does. The Gridiron is a sanctuary for all those who have accepted the religion of football in their life. High school to pro, the level of energy of the game on all levels is just something different. I, being a die hard Chicago Bears fan, have many problems that are erased with just watching them play. My dream job even relies on the Bears, as I hope to be a part of the media that covers them either as a broadcaster or writer. I believe in being a part of football.

I believe in sports