JESSICA - CLINTON, Iowa

I believe that valuing our time and the ability to forgive are two attributed ever human being needs to live in total harmony. When I was 11 my parents went through a divorce. I am the oldest child of three and I was closest to my dad so it was hard for me when they first got divorced. After the divorce my mother was transferred an hour away from our hometown which meant we would not be so close to my dad. As I got older mine and my dad’s relationship became more and more estranged. He started drinking a lot and eventually our days out with dad ended. I was 16 by this time and a mind and a mouth of my own. I never hesitated to tell my dad how I felt about our so called relationship. There were many broken promises and lies. I completely quit talking to my dad. When I was 20 years old I moved back to our hometown and started to see my dad around town. He worked at a local restaurant there and saw him whenever I would eat there. We would talk but I relationship was never like before. Then one day I was sitting in my apartment and though how ridiculous this was that I didn’t even have a relationship with my father. I called him and asked him if I could come over. We talked and I total him I forgave him for all the lies and broken promises and I knew he would do his best to re-patch our relationship. We talked a lot in the next couple weeks. He spent days out with my little brother and sister and the three of us and our dad were on our way to repairing our relationship. The on July 10th 2002 I get a phone call that my dad was in a car accident on route 2. He was in the hospital for the next 9 months with serious brain injuries. He never came out of it and we were never able to communicate. On March 27th 2003 he died. He was 40 years old. He left behind a 3 children 21, 17, 13 years of age. It was the hardest obstacle I have ever gone through. I was so glad that I had forgiven him and we had talked everyday for the two weeks before the accident. Right after he died I would think how awful it would have been if he never knew I forgave him for the past. Nobody can know for sure that they are going to be here the next day. I value my time now. The time I have with my daughter and my family and friends. I also make sure I forgive because we can’t afford to waste the time we have now being mad at our closest friends and family.